The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland (NSCDA Maryland) actively promotes our national heritage through historical preservation, patriotic service, and educational projects.
The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland have been stewards of Mount Clare Museum House, located in Carroll Park of Baltimore City, since 1917. Mount Clare Museum House features an exceptional collection of decorative arts, paintings, and furniture which educates understanding of life in Maryland since the 18th century: the paradox of hardship amid elegance, and how the past continues to shape life in America today.
Objects of the Society
The objects of this Society shall be to collect and preserve manuscripts, traditions, relics and mementos of bygone days; to preserve and restore buildings connected with the early history of our country; to educate our fellow citizens and ourselves in our country’s history and thus diffuse healthful and intelligent information concerning the past; to create a popular interest in our Colonial history; to stimulate a spirit of true patriotism and a genuine love of country; and to impress upon the young the sacred obligation of honoring the memory of those heroic ancestors whose ability, valor, sufferings and achievements are beyond all praise.
Membership in the organization is by sponsorship only. Members must be lineal descendants of an ancestor who rendered significant service to his country during the Colonial period before July 5, 1776.
Mount Clare Museum House
Mount Clare Museum House is a 1760 colonial Georgian home built by one of Maryland’s leading patriots and one of our first state senators, Charles Carroll, Barrister. Mount Clare Museum House was the center of Georgia Plantation, a self-sufficient plantation with a diverse community. Because of its exceptional value in interpreting our rich national heritage, Mount Clare Museum House has been under the stewardship of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland since 1917.